Last Updated: 08/18/2022
Information We Collect
To receive certain benefits of using the Websites, you may be required to provide your personally identifiable information, including but not limited to your name, email address, physical address, phone number and job titles (“Personal Information”). Such Personal Information, for example, is collected when an applicant fills out and submits a rental application to us. If you do not wish for this Personal Information to be collected, you should not use the relevant function of the Websites. The following describes the types of Personal Information and other information we may collect about you, and how we use and maintain that information:
Site Use Information
Our web servers may collect information related to the device or browser you use to access or interact with our Websites, such as IP address, location information, unique device identifiers and other information about your device, browser types, browser language, and unique numbers or codes in cookies. This information may be aggregated to measure the number of visits, average time spent on the Websites, pages viewed, etc. We may use this information to measure the use of our Websites and to improve the content we offer. We may share with third parties this experiential information or other data on an aggregated basis without the use of any information that personally identifies you. We do not use technology that recognizes a “do-not-track” signal from your web browser.
As you browse the Websites, cookies will be placed on your computer so that we can better understand your interests. A “cookie” is a small amount of data that our Websites can send to your internet browser which may then be stored on your computer’s hard drive so that we can recognize you when you return to our Websites in the future. If you have registered with the Websites, these cookies may let us know who you are and identify your browser as one that has visited the Websites before. These cookies may also be required to access your account information (which is securely stored on the hard drive of our computer) in order to allow us to deliver our products and personalized services to you. You may set your Web browser to notify you when you receive a cookie or to not accept certain cookies. However, if you decide not to accept cookies from our Websites, you may not be able to take advantage of all of the features of our Websites.
Information You Provide to Us
Retention of Personal Information
Because we maintain our Websites to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your Personal Information may be retained in our backup and archival systems for a limited period of time, after which the information will be deleted in compliance with the Texas privacy law.
Social Networking Activities
Our Websites include the ability for you and other users to link to social networking websites. As a result, we may receive information about you when you choose to post or otherwise share information about our Websites on these social networking websites. We may use such information about you in a variety of ways, including to administer the Websites and enhance your experience with the Websites, and to communicate with you about the Websites and new offerings or activities associated with the Websites. We may keep all of this information for as long as it is required for the purpose it was originally collected.
Opting Out of Communications and Advertisements
If, having previously provided your consent for marketing, you no longer want to receive emails from Venterra, you may opt out by clicking the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of marketing emails you receive or, if you have a registered account, you may log in to your account and make changes to your communication preferences. If you are having difficulty unsubscribing using the above methods, please contact us directly at the email or phone number listed below under “Contact“. Please allow ample time for us to process your request. However, please note that even if you opt out from receiving marketing emails, we will send you service-related communications and may need to keep information we have collected about you for record-keeping, research and other purposes. You can choose to opt out of certain advertisements. You may visit https://youradchoices.com to learn more about digital advertising and how to opt-out of this advertising on websites by companies participating in the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) self-regulatory program. If you delete your cookies or use a different browser or mobile device, you may need to renew your opt-out choices exercised through the DAA tool.
Using Personal Information
- you have provided your consent (which can be withdrawn at any time)
- where the processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which you are a party (or to enter into such a contract at your request),
- where we are required by law
- where processing is required to protect your vital interests or those of another person, or
- where the processing is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate commercial interests, except where such interest are overridden by your rights and interests (as detailed below).
We will keep your Personal Information you provide to us in our files. If you become a resident in our community, we will keep your Personal Information in a resident file. If you do not become a resident, we will keep your Personal Information in a general file. We may use the Personal Information you give us for purposes including the following (among other things), as is necessary for our legitimate commercial interests, or where you have given your consent to such use to the extent required by applicable law (such consent can be withdrawn at any time):
- to respond to your inquiries and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to verify that you qualify as an authorized user of our Websites;
- to send you communications about our own products and services that we think you may find of interest, provided you have not opted out of receiving such communications;
- where the processing is required in order to enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements you have entered into with us;
- to contact you as necessary.
We may also use the Personal Information we collect in an anonymized form (independent of any personal identifiers) for purposes including the following (among other things), as is necessary for our legitimate commercial interests or with your consent where required by applicable law (such consent can be withdrawn at any time):
- to administer the Websites and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve the Websites and to customize the content you see on the Websites;
- as part of our efforts to keep the Websites safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to do internal research on our Websites visitors’ interests and behaviors to better understand and serve our members.
Disclosing Information to Third Parties
We will not share, rent, sell or otherwise disclose any Personal Information that we collect about you through our Websites, except in any of the following situations:
- You request or authorize the release of your Personal Information.
- For Secure Users using our resident portal, we may disclose Personal Information that we collect about you to our third-party contractors and payment processors who perform services for us in connection with the Websites, or to complete or confirm a transaction or series of transactions that you conduct with us. We may also disclose Personal Information to service providers or suppliers if the disclosure will enable that party to perform business, professional or technical support for us.
- We may provide your Personal Information to our affiliates and sponsors, so as to provide access to benefits and communicate important information about them (with your consent where required).
- We may disclose Personal Information about you with our professional advisers, or as part of a merger, acquisition or other sale or transfer of the assets or business of Venterra.
- We may disclose Personal Information about you to comply with the law, applicable regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests, court orders or subpoenas, to enforce other agreements you may have with Venterra, or to protect our rights, property or safety or the rights, property or safety of our users or others (e.g., to a consumer reporting agency for fraud protection). We reserve the right to release information that we collect to law enforcement or other government officials, as we, in our sole and absolute discretion, deem necessary or appropriate.
We may also share aggregated or anonymous information that cannot identify you with third parties. For example, we may disclose the number of visitors to our Websites or the number of people who have downloaded a particular document.
Links to Other Websites
If you are under the age of 13, please do not use or access the Websites in any way. It is not our intention to and we will not knowingly collect or use any Personal Information from any child under the age of 13. If we become aware that we have collected any Personal Information from children under the age of 13, we will promptly delete such information from our databases.
Your California Privacy Rights
Under California law, a California resident with whom we have an established relationship has the right to request certain information with respect to the types of Personal Information we have shared with third parties for the direct marketing purposes of those third parties, and the identities of those third parties, within the immediately preceding calendar year, subject to certain exceptions. California residents who have an established relationship with Venterra may tell us not to share their Personal Information with third parties for marketing purposes. To opt out, you may contact us at any time as described below in the Contact section.
Access from Outside the United States
If you access the Websites from outside of the United States, information that we collect about you may be transferred and stored on servers inside so called “third countries” where laws regarding data protection may be less stringent than the laws in your country (such as the United States). Where your Personal Information is transferred to such third countries, we will ensure that an appropriate safeguard has been implemented to ensure a continued level of protection of Personal Information. For more information, or to obtain a copy of the relevant safeguards, please contact us using the details below under Contact.
- Aug 18th, 2022
- Published Second Revision
- Jun 29th, 2022
- Published First Revision