March 17, 2020
Let’s keep learning – Educational online tools for kids
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, many schools have ended in person classes and switched to online learning. Other schools have suspended classes altogether for a few weeks. During this time, it’s important to keep children learning while being home with parents or a caretaker. Many schools are providing software tools to maintain class curriculums and testing, but in case you may have missed the list, here are the tools we have found to be the most impactful:
For Educational: K- 12- remote learning during school closures can help keep children in their school routine.
- Khan Academy – personalized classes on math, science, computer programming, history, art history, economics and more to empower learners to study at their own pace in and outside of the classroom.
- Scholastic Learn at Home – day-by-day projects to keep kids reading, thinking, and growing.
- BrainPOP – engaging animated movies via narrative, humor and characters who speak in a voice kids can relate to, encouraging self-directed learning and further exploration of the world around them.
- Duolingo – learn a language for free.
There are excellent resources that balance fun and education:
- Storyline Online – award-winning children’s literacy website that streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
- Virtual Field Trips by Discovery – virtual tours take students to amazing places and give them remarkable experiences.
- FunBrain – hundreds of games, books, comics, and videos that develop skills in math, reading, problem-solving and literacy.
- Many zoos and aquariums are offering live streams. Check out the list here.
- Take a look this website for hundreds of ideas that are both fun and educational.
Additionally, it’s important for kids to stay active. Consider going for a walk outside, playing a game in the yard or going on a bike ride. There are also some websites and apps that provide fitness activities for children:
- NEOfitness – fun, safe, and effective exercises for children ranging from 4-12 years of age
- Super Stretch Yoga – mobile app uses storytelling, animation and interactive video tutorials to show various yoga poses for kids
- FitnessKids – mobile app with over 25 animated exercises
- FitQuest Lite – a unique app which encourages kids to walk over 10,000 steps per day! However, this app uses puzzles to motivate kids to take more steps